ProdMod Video Light and Charger for your Flip Camcorder

ProdMod Video Light and Charger for Flip Camcorder

I have a new camera light that is specifically built for the Flip Camcorder. This Flip Video Light outputs about 100 lumen and plugs into the USB plug of the Flip Mino camcorder. It can also work with other Flip Cameras. This allows you to take video at night or in complete darkness. This model runs on only 2 AAA batteries and will shine its light for about 1 hour, conveniently matching the Flip recording limit.  Even better, flip the switch down and you can charge your Flip Camcorder through the USB plug. Fresh AAA batteries will have enough juice to charge your flip for about 4 hours. You’ll only need 3 hours to charge your Flip!

CORRECTION!:

The flip light and charger, as it was designed on November 12, 2008, does not charge the Flip at the same rate as your PC would. For safety reasons the Flip assumes it is a low current device and limits the current draw to only 100mA. This current is so low that even after 4 hours of charging you wont see much change in your battery level.

To charge the Flip in about 3 hours you will need to “tell” the Flip it is connected to a high current source. To do this you simply short the D+ pin to teh D- pin of your USB jack. Now the Flip should draw 450mA to 520mA from the ProdMod Light and Charger. But drawing around 500mA through the 5V boost circuit means you are drawing over 2.5A from the 2 AAA batteries. With 1150mAh batteries your total charge time is only about 20 minutes at best. And 20 minutes of charging at about 500mA probably only adds about 8 minutes of recording time. I guess 8 minutes is better than nothing and besides, this would serve as a light 90% of the time. If the status of this project changes I will update, but for now I would consider this mostly a light rather than a charger.

Continue for Video Clip!

This clip shows it mounted on your Flip and how to set it to charge your Flip.

Here is a quick demo of the light output in a completely dark room.

Since it has a USB port it not only charges your Flip camcorder but can also charge your iPod or a USB chargeable cell phone such as the Att tilt by HTC.

ProdMod Video Light Charging an iPod nanoProdMod Video Light charging the ATT tilt by HTC

Spec Summary:
Light Output: 100 lumen @ 350mA
Battery Life: Light = 1 hour, Flip Charge =  20 minutes
Size: 1.9″x2.5″x0.5″ not including USB port

ProdMod Video Light for Flip camcorder close up
I use a DC step up circuit from bodhilabs to get the 5V needed to charge the Flip through USB.

ProdMod Flip Camcorder Video Light inside

A Parts Kit or Pre-Assembled Kit is available upon request.

Please note:

The parts kit or pre-assembled kit is an experimental prototype and its performance and behavior cannot be guaranteed.

This assembled kit transmits 5Vdc through its USB jack power terminals. If assembled incorrectly the assembled kit may transmit power to the incorrect terminals of your USB compatible device. Transmitting power to the Tx and Rx lines, or transmitting power in reverse polarity to the power terminals of your USB jack and WILL damage your device.

1 ping

1. Trendmatcher says:

Nice kit!
    Do you ship this also to the Netherlands on request?
    How much will it cost?

2. ISABEL D. says:

THIS ONE COOL… I JUST WAIT FOR X-STMAS SOON GET ONE FLIP MINO CAMCORDER SOON ;D I DON’T GET IT YET….

WERE U GOT THIS PRODMOD VIDEO LED LIGTH?? CAN U HOW MUCH COST THIS ?

3. prodmod says:

I made this LED video light using a battery holder, and LED, and a few more parts. You can make it using the parts kit. The parts kit costs $45. It is a DIY project.

If you want me to make this for you, you can email me here http://prodmod.com/contact and I will give you a price.

4. camcorder says:

You blog is very nice. What tools did you use to make this?

5. prodmod says:

this blog is made using WordPress.

6. KJ says:

Hey there, just saw your video light for flip… Are you still making them?

7. prodmod says:

I have made a few, because of the time and labor involved I have charged between $100 and $200 for an assembled unit.
    If you are still interested you can discuss details with me through my contact page

8. mark says:

how do i buy this item?

9. CompareVideoCamera says:

Wow great information. I love my flip but in low light it does have trouble. This is a great solution. Thank you

10. Aaron Flip HD Camera Owner says:

Pretty sweet little LED. Wish I had something like this for my Flip HD Camera

11. Tuyet says:

It was hard for me to find your articles in google search results.
    I found it on 16 position, you have to build some quality backlinks
    , it will help you to get more visitors. I know how to help you, just type in google –
    k2 seo tips and tricks

12. Terrence says:

It was hard to find your posts in google. I found it on 20 place, you have to build a lot
    of quality backlinks , it will help you to
    get more visitors. I know how to help you, just search in google – k2 seo tips and tricks

1. THE FLIP CAMERA | Electronics Find says:

[...] the flip camera prodmod.com [...]