Can the AirMail Manilla folder damage the MacBook Air?

AirMail floatHave you seen this yet? It’s a manilla folder for the new MacBook Air. Basically Steve Jobs pulled the new ultra slim MacBook Air out of a manilla folder to prove how thin it was. So a team of artists made this manilla folder looking sleeve for the new laptop and called it AirMail. If you go to the “All you want to know” part of their new site it exlpains what it is made of.

“The AirMail laptop sleeve is handmade out of durable upholstery-grade vinyl, and lined with fuzzy, soft fleece.”

Did they just say fleece?�The last time I took off my fleece pull over I was cursing up a storm about how much static electricity it creates and I couldn’t get rid of it. I even zapped my wife and I still had it.�I am no electronics expert, but I am pretty sure static electricity and electronics� don’t play well together.� I guess laptops are protected from occasional zaps but generating static on the laptop each time you remove it from the sleeve just can’t be good?� Can it?

When I built my own PC years ago there were plenty of warnings to make sure you were grounded with a static wrist strap. And the video and audio cards would be wrapped in�anti-static bags. You’ll see the same packaging for PIC microcontrollers and other ICs.

Someone please tell me I am wrong because�I love the fact that these two people came up with an idea and put into practice and on sale in a matter of days. I really want them to succeed and continue making products. This is the kind of entrepeneural gadget making energy I want to support and foster here at Prodmod: Be small be quick and get new products out before big corporate has time to even know what they missed. But if the AirMail�starts to blow up everyone’s new MacBook Air with static bombs, well, that would be�unfortunate.�Speed and novelty is good, damaging goods is not.

But hey like I said I am no expert – maybe they found a way for it not to create static, or perhaps the MacBook Air is impervious to static electrical damage? **�I don’t damage my laptop when I am statically charged.

** UPDATE-It is protected from static damage! See comment below from Jona Bechtolt over at manilamac.com.**

But of all lining material why fleece?

Do you know more about this?
I have looked online for answers and get mixed results.

Can you provide any more technical info on this?
Would you buy the AirMail Mac folder?

Please comment below.

1. Mrs. Jobs says:

You maybe right but I have a white fleece case for my MacBook Pro and there isnt any problem I’ve experienced over a year.

2. Jona Bechtolt says:

Funny story:

We got an email from someone saying: “My concern is the potential static electricity this could generate, posing a potential threat to the MBA.”

So I Googled around and found that Mac laptops specifically don’t have any problem with static electricity, then I sent an email with links to a couple sites and explained that I’ve put 5 Apple laptops through pretty literal hell over the past 5 years (touring with them, dropping them, kicking them, dragging them on the floor, etc.) and I’ve never experienced a static electricity problem.

We received this reply:

“You know, I am a tech with Apple here in Portland and we are well aware of the hazards of fleecy type stuff, static electricity and exposed parts, so yeah you are spot on. The Air has an metal case, like the Pros that keep its sensitive inards safe.”

So there you have it. I guess he was making sure we knew what we were selling.

3. prodmod says:

Thanks for your quick feedback and for clearing this up for us. I have updated this post.
    I am glad everything is in working order with the AirMail. I hope you sell a bunch and I look forward to your next product. Keep inventing. Your quick product to market cycle time is crucial and inspirational. It’s why I love independant small business product development.

4. robbie says:

Now that’s a problem! i have found a better product which happens to even be green, check out the Green AirBag. I read that static Electricity could cause short cuts to MacAir. why have fleece that could potentially cause a problem, when you can have hemp, be green, and be more comfortable with sturdy, nice feel and a longer lasting product.

5. Andrew Bala says:

Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding one? Thanks a lot!

6. Ariel Wiglesworth says:

The MacBook Air family is a line of ultraportable Macintosh notebook computers created by Apple Inc. The Air was designed to balance both performance and portability; it has a full-sized keyboard design and a machined aluminium casing with extremely low weight and thickness. The MacBook Air is available in two sizes: ;..:.

Our favorite internet page
    <http://homelifestylejournal.com/index.php/

7. เมนูอาหารโต๊ะจีนงานแต่ง says:

whoah this blog is great i love studying your articles.
    Keep up the great work! You already know, lots of people are hunting around for this
    information, you could help them greatly.

8. nfl 17 coins says:

Really had to point out I’m delighted I came on the website!.