LED Hula Hoop made for $15 – cheap

SEE NEW UPDATE BELOW I NOW SELL DIY LED HULA HOOP KITS!!!
Now this is my kind of maker.

He saw a need-
“Some friends wanted a lighted hula hoop for burningman”

He identified the outrageous retail price of the product-
“they turned out to be about $200 each”

And he bravely concluded-
“I decided to make one”

Awesome. A perfect thought process for the modern consumer.

He said it costs about $15 in parts and about 2 hours time.
What a difference $15 vs $200!

That got me thinking —

For those of you who are handy modders and makers, this is probably easy and fun to work on.

I am a maker and modder myself, but there are plenty of things I want to make and either don’t have the time or all the required skills to finish it.

I am sure I am not spending $200 for some LEDs on a tube.

Aside from the 2 hours it takes, I still have to go out and find the components, i have to have proper tools like a drill and solder gun. I have to solder stuff – which i would rather not do. Plus I live in a small apartment with no workspace.

How many others are like me? Crafty or not what can they do to get one?

Let’s answer that here by asking makers and buyers for input.

• If you could buy one of these LED Hula Hoops right now handcrafted by this maker or another qualified person, how much would you think is a fair price?
  • If you are willing to make and sell this to another person how much would you charge for it?

I’ll start it off:

If I made it I would have to cover the $15 parts cost and get some money for my time. Say it did take me 2 hrs, i would charge an extra $30. So Parts + Labor = $45.

• To: Makers – Is that enough?
  • To: Buyers – Is it too much?I’d like to hear from both sides.

Write your comments below.

Don’t hesitate. participate.

NEW UPDATE!!

Hi everyone, I really appreciate your comments but I have to clarify that as of February of 2008 I have started selling a DIY parts kit so that you can make your very own LED Hula Hoop that is even better than the one in the above instructables and is very similar to the expensive $300 versions. You can find that kit along with photos comments and testimonials here.

I have also held a workshop in Brooklyn and attended the Maker Faire in May 2008.

Everyone is really digging this new LED Hula Hoop design. I dont really have time or space to make finished hoops for people but if you follow my instructions you can make your own in about 2 hours.

2 pings

1. Becky says:

I love them! I’d buy one!

2. Raychel says:

Is it rechargable or battery powered? Is the weight evenly disrtibuted or is it one battery pack on one side?
    I WILL BUY ONE! Please contact me about it.

3. prodmod says:

I think the battery is only on one side but it doesn’t weigh much so you might not notice it.

4. Perdita says:

I’d love one, especially if it’s rechargeable — or at least powered by cheap batteries (none of that silly 4-watch-batteries stuff, it’s too expensive). $45 sounds incredibly reasonable.

5. Tiffany says:

I think that’s a great price cause I saw some at 10KLF being sold for $25-$45 and that’s without the lighting, just colored tape or fabric covering
    so I would definitely go a little higher
    great instructions BTW

6. prodmod says:

Hi everyone. Just for the record I didnt author the instructable. It was done by jeffkobi, you can see his page on instructables here

He is not so interested in making and selling these hoops. He is a very talented maker and is on to newer and better projects, as he should!

I might consider making and selling similar hoops, I’ll let you all know when I’m ready.

As for cost, Tiffany, it sounds like you think these are worth more than $50?
    I do see other LED hoops out there for $100 – $200. So I would safely sell this style of hoop for $50 to $80.

Feel free to add any other comments you wish. Thanks for the feedback.

And don’t forget to subscribe to these comments so you can see when new ones are posted. It should be a check box under the comment box. If it doesn’t work let me know.

7. jordi says:

WOW i will buy!! please email me… hotpinkjordi (at) Hotmail.com !!!
    {prodmod says} your email was converted in an attempt to protect you from spammers.

8. Lynn Tenerow says:

Please let me know if you start selling them. I’m in!

9. Nick says:

Light Up and Juggle has LED hoops for $130 – and many other glow things -

1. ProdMod ™ » Blog Archive » DIY LED Hula Hoop Parts Kit for Sale says:

[...] in Volume 6 due on the shelves Feb 5th. It caught my eye because I featured jeffkobi’s instructable months ago and planned to create my own DIY instructions using translucent tubing. Obviously Craft [...]

2. DIY LED Hula Hoop Parts Kit for Sale « ProdMod ™ says: